Moree Australia Day Winners
Seven local heroes have celebrated at Sunday mornings Australia Day event receiving a 2020 Moree Lion’s Club Australia Day Award for their involvement in the categories of sport, volunteering, environment and general contribution towards the community.
The awards recognised individuals and groups for their diligent work within the community that contributes towards the Moree Plains’ vision of a diverse, friendly and strong community.
The awards were presented by Moree’s Australia Day Ambassador, Clyde Campbell, founder of the Shake It Up Australia Foundation which works to increase awareness and funding in Australia for Parkinson’s disease.
The winners of the 2020 Moree Plains Australia Day Awards are:
- Citizen of the Year – Michael Andersen
- Young Citizen of the Year – Elka Devney
- Community Event/Group of the year – Serendipity Singers
- Sports Person of the Year – Raymond Heaton
- Volunteer of the Year – Kelly James
- Volunteer Group/Sports Group of the Year – Moree Ukulele Group/ Community Choir
- Environmental Citizen of the Year – Michael Ivanov
The Australia Day event was held at the Banquet Hall on Sunday morning; the event was sponsored by Moree Plains Shire Council and organised by the Lions Club. The event brought together the Moree Plains’ community who enjoyed a free BBQ breakfast and also welcomed new Australian Citizens.
Photograph: 2020 Moree Lion’s Club Australia Day Award winners with Mayor Katrina Humphries and Australia Day ambassador Clyde Campbell.