Youth Council to Relaunch - Come along to the 'meet and greet'


Follow Moree Plains Shire on Facebook Follow Moree Plains Shire on Instagram Follow Moree Plains Shire on Twitter Moree Plains Shire Council on Linkedin You Tube
A- A A+

Permits and Load Limits

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) provides that certain classes of heavy vehicles (restricted access vehicles), despite being registered and compliant with the HVNL and other legal requirements, may only be used on a public road if the operator has been granted access through a notice or permit (mass or dimension authority) from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) . Restricted access vehicles are subject to restrictions to ensure that the use of these vehicles does not endanger public safety, and to minimise or avoid any adverse impact on road infrastructure and public amenity.

Restricted Access Vehicles (RAV) include Class 1, 2 or 3 vehicles that operate under a notice or permit and vehicles operating under higher mass limits (HML) that can generally only access certain parts of the road network (a vehicle that is not a GAV).

Vehicle classes will appear on legal documents such as permits and notices.

The Classes of heavy vehicles fact sheet illustrates some common examples from the 3 different classes of heavy vehicles and is provided for guidance only.

Class 1 heavy vehicles include: Special purpose vehicles, Agricultural vehicles, Oversize Overmass vehicles

Class 2 heavy vehicles include : Freight-carrying vehicles (B-doubles, B-triples, Road Trains), Buses, Vehicle carriers, Livestock vehicles, Performance-Based Standards (PBS) vehicles.

Class 3 heavy vehicles  include: Vehicles which, together with their load, do not comply with prescribed mass or dimension requirements.

To apply for a permit

For further information about heavy vehicle access permits please visit NHRV - National Heavy VEhicle Regulator

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Phone: 02 6757 3222